Electricity must be treated with respect.
The fact that you can’t see electricity makes it more dangerous, so it’s important to keep a few simple safety tips in mind when you are working with electrical appliances around the home.
- Switch off an appliance before you unplug.
- Care for your cords - replace any frayed or brittle cords.
- Treat a tingle as a signal - immediately switch off at the outlet and unplug the appliance.
- Watch out for wires - always stand well clear, warn others and us immediately if you spot a fallen electrical wire.
- Liquids and electricity don't mix- never take portable appliances like radios, heaters, phones and hairdryers into the shower or bath and don't spray cleaners and solvents on switches or sockets.