Accident prevention near power lines
We ensure all electric power lines installed in South Canterbury meet rigid safety standards, but the lines can still be a danger if you don't take sensible safety precautions. If you are concerned about the safety of any power lines near you, please call our free emergency 24 hour hotline on 0800 66 11 77.
Follow these rules to avoid accidents when working or playing near power lines:
- Treat all lines as alive
- Never go near or touch a downed line
- Never ever climb any power pole or pylon
- Never fly kites, model aircraft or play with fishing poles near lines
- Look out above when handling long objects or using mechanical plant
- High voltage electricity can jump across gaps - you don't need to touch the lines to get killed
- Take care trimming trees so that they don't fall into the lines
- Avoid lighting fires under lines - discuss with us before you do this
- Look above and keep well clear when handling a boat mast near power lines.
If you're concerned about the safety of any power lines, please call us on 03 687 4300 or 0800 661177.
Getting near to, or contacting, power lines can be fatal or lead to serious injury. Some people are more at risk of touching power lines because of their hobby or occupation – farmers and farm workers, builders and boaties.
Be aware of the dangers of power lines and keep yourself safe.
Treat all power lines as live at all times
- DO NOT go near or touch a downed line.
- DO NOT climb any power pole or pylon.
- LOOK UP before handling long objects or using mechanical plant. High voltage electricity can jump across gaps - you don't need to touch the lines to get killed.
- BE SAFE when trimming trees so that they don't fall into power lines.
- DO NOT excavate around power poles without speaking to us first.