As part of our on going commitment to keeping the community safe around our electricity network, we provide the following important safety information.
- DO NOT touch, move, or go near any downed or hanging line.
- DO NOT move tree branches or other objects entangled in any line.
- Contact us immediately on 03 687 4300 or 0800 661177 and contact the police on 111.
- Treat all lines as live, until advised otherwise by us.
- Keep everyone well clear - at least 10 metres away.
Parents and teachers
Keep our children and young people safe. Make sure they know not to go anywhere near lines lying on the ground or hanging off poles. Tell them to move away from the area, let an adult know and to call the police on 111 or us on 03 687 4300 or 0800 661177.
Children should also know that they must not fly kites or play with long poles, such as fishing poles, near power lines.
What to do if a power line is down
Never touch, move, or go near any kind of downed or hanging line. Always treat lines as being live at all times. Going near it could cause serious injury or electrocution. Call us immediately on 03 687 4300 or 0800 66 1177
Lines on vehicles
If a power line falls on a vehicle, the vehicle may be alive and anyone that touches or tries to leave or reach the vehicle could be electrocuted.
You should stay in the vehicle until the line has been made safe. If you do have to get out, jump as far away as possible keeping both feet together as you land.
NEVER touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.