Downed or hanging power line
Never touch, move, or go near any kind of downed or hanging line - even if it looks harmless. Do not assume that the line is just a telephone line.
What to do if you see a power line down:
- Contact us on 0800 66 11 77 or contact the police on 111.
- Treat all lines as alive until advised safe by us.
- Never touch a downed line - it may still be alive.
- Keep everyone well clear - at least 10 metres away.
- Do not try to move tree limbs or other objects that are on or near the line.
Lines on vehicles
If a line falls on a vehicle, the vehicle may be electrically alive. Any person attempting to touch or leave the vehicle could be electrocuted. If possible, stay in the vehicle until we have made the line safe. If you have to get out, jump as far away as possible keeping both feet together. Under NO circumstances should you ever touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.